News & Press

Old Reigatian RFC

1st XV v Guildford Match Report

On Saturday, Old Reigaitian 1st XV travelled away for the second game to face Guildford, who despite their low position in the league have had some very close results.

ORs were coming off a run of two defeats and a draw. With a number of key players returning from injury hopes were high for a return to winning ways.

If the early exchanges were anything to go by Reigatian’s were back to their best form three minutes into the game Guildford had their first spell into Reigatian’s half, The ball was turned over and quick hands found fullback Tom Woodford with a two on one the speediest Finn Coyle outside him and with a cheeky dummy and through the gap he was away 50 metres down the pitch to score under the posts. Lucas Overtoom added the extra two points. 0-7.

From the restart Max Coyle returning to the starting lineup for the first time in five fixtures stood up his opposite number then just out accelerated him beat their Fullback again under the posts again Overtoom kicked the conversation 0 – 14.

With the restart won OR’s worked their way down the pitch showing great ball retention and worked their way into Guildford’s 22 as the ball moved out to the wing to find Lock Joe Gregson who crashed over to add to his tally this season. Overtoom was again successful with the kick 12 minutes played 0 – 21 up.

Surely this couldn’t continue, what happened next I don’t think anybody was expecting. Guildford moved play into the visitors 22. Their lineout catch and drive try scored extras added 7 – 21. Twenty minutes into the game so a quarter of the way through Guildford with renewed confidence camped on the visitors try line after a number of attempts their forwards finally made it over the line right next to the posts. 14-21. The Home side well and truly back in the game. OR’s reacted well and agin playing with good patience work their way up field similar to Gregson’s the ball was moved wide but this time it was Tight Head Prop Toby Collister who forced his way over. This time the kick was too wide out for Overtoom 14-26. At this stage Lock Dan Grant was off the field with a dislocated thumb. Harry Plowman his replacement. Within a few minutes Plowman received a yellow card and was back in the technical area.

At the start of the second hald Guildford took advantage of their extra player and scored in the fourth minute, this try is converted 21-26.

At this point Harrison Mitchell was replacement by Ed Forsyth with a neck injury. Ed had not been on the field for more than ten minutes when he took a blow to his face and broke his nose! Oli Brooks also needed a replacement with a groin injury meaning he was unable to run and Rob Cheal came on to the pitch as the last replacement. Meaning OR’s were down to 14 men. The Reigate held on well and fought to hold on to their slender lead. However Guildford moved the ball wide and managed get run the outside of the visitors defence and score in the corner, no conversion 26-26.

Rob Cheal was left on the floor from the build up for that try and with another neck injury h ewas forced to leave the field. Rob was later taken to Hospital after his symptoms worsened but after a full scan etc at the Hospital we are very pleased to say Rob is fine if a bit sore. Reigatian now have 13 players!

The scores remained even and no one fault both teams commitment as Guildford moved the ball well trying to find a gap in the defensive wall and Reigatian’s defended as if their lives depended on it. To the extent Dan Jones was handed a yellow card OR’s now have 12 players!

Two minutes after a kick ahead that Max Coyle just failed to collect which would have been an outstanding score again Max find himself in possession just inside his own half. With outstanding footwork and unbelievable pace he managed to beat about five defenders and score under the posts for an outstanding solo effort. Overtoom added to conversion 26-33 with 30 minutes on the clock surely the game had taken enough twists and turns.

With three players down OR’s set piece was under increasing pressure Guildford had a scrum not that far from the Reigatian line and understandably they went for a push over try again Reigatian gave everything trying to hold them out but the extra weight was always going to be too much. The Ref decided there was an offence and run under the posts for a Penalty try 33-33 not only was the Referee content to give a penalty try he also yellow carded the Captain Reilly Franklin-Talbot to join Dan Jones in the Bin. With 11 players on the pitch OR’s had to hang on for injury time to get the draw. In the 47th minute of the second half Reigatian hearts were broken when Guildford managed to get a another try. 38-33 the first time they had lead the game as soon as the conversion was kicked the final whistle was blown.

Once again Sport can be very cruel everyone who pulled on the Green and Blue shirts gave 120% some days it is just not to be. We hope all six players a speedy recovery. Especially Rob Cheal whose 1st XV debut didn’t work out as he had planned but he will be back.

More news from ORFFC
Scroll to Top