News & Press

Old Reigatian RFC

Old Reigatian 1st XV v Beckenham, Match Report

Old Reigatian 1st XV 43 v Beckenham 1st XV 34

Last Saturday Old Reigatian 1st XV hosted Beckenham RFC, who for most of the first half of the season were top of the league. However, a few recent defeats going into this game they were third on 52 points, only ahead of Old Reigatian on points difference. Therefore, with 1st in the League Battersea playing second place Reeds and Third Beckenham playing fourth Old Reigatian the top of the table should have some points between each other by the end of the afternoon.

View the league table

OR’s welcomed back their Captain Reilly Franklin-Talbot following a recent injury.  The home side got of to a dream start with fullback Conor Woods scoring within two minutes, finding himself opposite a prop forward in Beckenham’s defensive line he used his pace to go round the defender and claim the first points of the afternoon. 5-0.

The great start continued when a clearance kick from the Beckenham 9 was fielded by Left Wing Finn Coyle a long pass inside to Woods who again feed the ball across to Right Wing Max Coyle who again found the same Prop in the defensive line easily beating him for pace and with only the fullback to beat and chip ahead was regathered for Max Coyle to score in the right hand corner this time Lucas Overtoom was successful with the conversion 12-0.

Beckenham were awarded a penalty which provided them with their first points of the game 12-3.In the 15th minute Alex Skinner put a box kick up with a great chase for Fin Coyle and Woods put pressure on the awaiting Beckenham who failed to catch the ball cleanly Woods came away with the ball who feed Lucas Overtoom who made a break down the left wing who feed inside to Sam Foreman who went over to score under the posts. 19-3.

The first half scoring spree continued with this an attacking line out was won and after a series of forwards driving towards the line Lock Dan Grant made good use of his height to reach out and touch down looking to have a few fingers actually applying downward pressure again Overtoom kicked the extra two points 26-3.

The first half closed on a stunning backs move with the ball starting on the left wing and moved across the  pitch through the hands of the backs finding Max Coyle who still had two players to beat and scored in the corner to give a half time score of 31-3. Already a try scoring bonus point claimed.

Half Time and the home side where so comfortable they may have just been a bit too comfortable.

From the kick off Beckenham showed they were not going to roll over and from a driving maul a Beckenham player broke free to run untouched over the try line the conversion was good 31-10. Then the visitors showed their class with a great try 31-15.

This seemed to rally the home team who moved play into the Kent Teams 22. OR’s won the Line Out and fed the ball to Skinner it was untidy ball and put pressure on Skinner and as he tried to get the ball away their back row was able to intercept the ball and made a 60 meters downfield the ball was moved quickly across to the left wing who was able to run the try in untouched. A successful conversion and the gap was closed to 31-22. This period was becoming nightmare with all the momentum with Beckenham and Reigatian struggling to get back into the game.

Beckenham once again took the game to OR’s with their left Winger making good ground if not travelling across the pitch, he linked with the centre who put a well weighted grubber kick through for the right winger to win the race to the ball and score 31-29.

Just when things couldn’t get any worse Regaitian centre Gareth Stephens took a blow and left the field of play to receive treatment. To be replaced by Aran Courtney Walker. OR’s managed to put some phases of Rugby together which took them into Beckenham’s 22 and as the ball went wide it was Courtney – Walker who got on the end of the move to score 36-29.

With Stephens on the touchline and the only back replacement Courtney Walker already on the pitch the home side coaching staff were concerned to see Max Coyle now down injured. Ian Repton treated Coyle and decided he could no longer take part in the game. With no obvious backs sub Gareth Stephens took it upon himself to return to play. As the Physio was with Coyle he hadn’t seen Stephens return.

From the next phase Tom Allen made a great break breaking through a group of three defenders and managed to offload to Stephens coming on to the ball at full speed and he was gone from about 50 meters out he scored under the posts. At this point the Physio he again was replaced but during the 30 seconds he had been on the field he had probably done enough to but the game beyond Beckenham with a 43-29 lead with five minutes left. Beckenham managed to score another try with the last move of the game but that was not enough and Old Reigatian won 43-34. Certainly a game of two halfs but five points against the team one place above you is a great results and now Battersea are top after beating Reeds and Reigatian leap frog both Reeds and Beckenham to sit two points behind Battersea with these teams facing each other on the 17th Feb. But the next challenge will be Cobham at Cobham next Saturday.

1.Ciaran Lee.  2. Ciaran Nestor 3. Toby Collister 4. Reilly Franklin-Talbot © 5. Dan Grant 6. Sam Foreman © 7. David Niven 8. Jack Baart 9. Alex Skinner 10. Lucas Overtoom (vc) 11. Finn Coyle 12. Tom Allen 13. Gareth Stephens 14. Max Coyle 15. Conor Woods
16. Mike Layzell 17. Joe Jenner 18. Aran Courtney Walker

More news from ORFFC
Scroll to Top