News & Press

Old Reigatian RFC

Old Reigatian Vs Reeds Weybridge Match Report

Last Saturday Old Reigatian 1st XV travelled to Weybridge to play Reeds, Reeds have two games in hand and Saturday morning sat 4 points behind ORs therefore a win was vital if the Reigate team were to hang on to the hope of finishing the season as Champions. Reeds had one defeat this season when they travelled to Park Lane and Reigatian were comfortable winners 42-21. So the visitors expected a backlash from that result.

Reilly Franklin Talbot ORs Captain won the toss and decided to play up the slope in the first half. From the start Reeds tried to run the ball at ORs defensive line and it became clear there was going to be a massive intensity to the game as the visitors held firm and the home side could not make any ground. After five minutes a defender was penalised for offside and Reeds had the first chance to score the kick from their Full Back sailed to the left of the posts still no score.

ORs were awarded a free kick on the left hand side of the field Alex Skinner took it quickly and after two driving runs from the forwards the ball was moved wide. Finn Coyle appeared off his Wing in the midfield and created an extra man. Reeds defence were indecisive and Coyle used his pace to break the line and score under the posts a great individual effort from the Winger who is making a habit of scoring in the league games at the moment. Skinner added the conversion and the away team lead 0-7.

For the next twenty minutes two quality teams went toe to toe with both sides not prepared to give an inch. The physicality taking it’s toll with OR’s losing Lock Seb Courtney Walker to a shoulder injury who was replaced by Dan Jones, closely followed by Centre Harrison Mitchell collecting a boot in the face and he was replaced by young Dom Flynn making his debut at 18 years of age another of the great prospects at the Club.

Following an offside Reeds scored their first points with a kick from the right hand side of the posts 3-7. Still the game moved from end to end with some great rugby being played by both teams.

After many phases of play one of a few handling errors led to the ball become loss from ORs which was quickly collected by Reeds who moved the ball to the right wing where their fullback cut inside to score out wide. No conversion, Reeds take a slender 8-7 lead.

The score remained 8-7 at half time. With the slope at this ground it was looking good for Reigatian to do the double over Reeds.

Th second half started with another injury for ORs with Tom Woodford following up on his own kick ahead he tackled the player who caught the ball and managed to get a cut just above his right eye. Mitchell had fortunately just about recovered from his knock to return to the field in place of Woodford, meaning Luke Quartermaine switched to Full Back and Mitchell returned to the Wing.

After 18 minutes of the second half ORs made their pressure count following a scrum on Reeds line the ball was moved quickly to Finn Coyle who stepped inside his Winger for a well worked try. 8-12 and the visitors were back in the lead. This lead increased when Skinner landed a Penalty 8-15.

Reigatian moved into Reeds half on from an attacking line out the ball was passed to flyhalf Harry Sergaent who then stepped inside two defenders faked an offload to a third then bet the covering defence to the try line for an outstanding individual try. ORs lead 8-20 with eight minutes remaining on the clock.

From the restart Reeds moved the ball to their powerful right wing who managed to beat three OR defenders to score near the posts giving the kicker an easy kick to claim 7 points. Four minutes left 13-20.

Reeds came straight back from the restart with great intent and ORs defended with great commitment as Reeds battered away at the Reigatian try line the defensive line held firm then finally the Right Wing again demonstrated his powerful running to smash over to score only a metre in from the touchline, 18-20 Reeds flyhalf added the extra two points 20-20 no time to restart the game. Reeds have only lost one game this season at Reigate and they came so close to losing to ORs again. Hugely entertaining game for an naturals and massive relief for Reeds and such a disappointment to be 8-20 ahead with eight minutes to go and draw. Numbers 1-17 were outstanding for Reigatian Saturday. This is such a young Reigatian squad who will learn a massive amount from this season with 13 games played 9 wins 1 draw 2 loses by a single score 26-27 & 21-19 both against Tottonians. They could so easily be 12 wins from 13 games. With five games left to earn promotion for the first time since 2005! The Physio team will be busy this week trying to get the boys back in one piece before the visit off Hove on Saturday.

Reeds 20 – 20 Old Reigatian

More news from ORFFC
Scroll to Top