News & Press

Old Reigatian RFC

Old Reigatian Vs Reeds Weybridge Match Report

Old Reigatian were denied a thrilling Surrey-derby success at an indisciplined Reeds Weybridge in Regional 2 South East.

Going into the final play of the match, Old Reigatian were trailing 39-33 and playing against 13 men, however, the home side were able to force the ball into touch close to their try-line and claim the win.

Reeds, playing down the slope in the first half, were quickly on the attack when they made the most of a handling error from the visitors which allowed Josh Clark to run in close to the posts in the opening minute. Pete Cole added the extras for a 7-0 lead.

However, Old Reigatians levelled in the tenth minute as they piled forward to attack the Reeds line and lock Joe Gregson crashed over before Lucas Overtoom kicked the conversion.

The hosts bagged their second try of the match when they claimed turnover ball to allow full-back Ethan Taylor to race home. Again Cole sent over the extras.

Reeds indiscipline throughout the contest almost proved costly when backchat from Michael Wasko saw the referee march the visitors forward an extra 10 metres for penalty, however, Old Reigatians were unable to capitalise and the hosts were able to relieve the pressure.

Late in the first half, Reeds saw Lewis Jones go over for their third score of the afternoon as the ball was spread wide to the openside flanker to dive over in the corner for an unconverted try.

Soon after the home side wrapped up their try bonus point when Ollie Palmer scooped up the ball played a fine show and go, to race in. Cole again added the extras.

However, Old Reigatian gave themselves some hope going into half-time when Oli Brooks crashed over in the corner for an unconverted try to reduce the arrears to 26-12 at the interval.

Now playing down the slope, the visitors pulled themselves within seven points of Reeds when they finally got their lineout function and from a catch-and-drive, Toby Collister dotted down for Overtoom to convert.

But Reeds responded immediately when the visitors made a mess of the restart allowing Taylor to break and the full-back off-loaded to Marcus Clark to race away and score. Cole’s conversion gave the hosts a 33-19 lead.

The arrears were cut to seven points once again five minutes later when Sam Foreman went in at the corner for Old Reigatian fourth of the match. Overtoom added the extras with a fine touchline kick.

Feeling the pressure, Reeds were relieved when they won a penalty in front of the posts 30 metres out and despite a heavy crosswind, Cole dissected the uprights for a 36-26 lead.

With the penalty count creeping up, the home side saw Jonny Rogers pick up the first of three yellow cards for Reeds and the visitors made the man advantage count as Max Coyle went over for their fifth try, which was again beautifully converted by Overtoom to bring Old Reigatian within three points.

The home side then saw Cole kick another penalty to put them 39-33 up with minutes remaining.

Reeds saw Taylor and then Rhys Day sent to the sin-bin leaving them to see out the final seconds of this pulsating contest with 13 men.

With their tails up, Old Reigatian pushed for the line, but solid defence from the hosts forced them into touch and secure victory.

1. Paul Marshall 2. Ciaran Nestor. 3. Toby Collister 4. Joe Gregson 5. Dan Jones 6. Jonny Long 7. Oli Brooks 8. Jack Baart 9. Alex Skinner 10. Lucas Overtoom 11. Finn Coyle 12. Ben Holder 13. Max Coyle. 14. Harrison Mitchell. 15. Charlie Spawforth 16. Hamish Broderick 17. Sam Foreman 18. Harry Serjeant

More news from ORFFC
Scroll to Top